Whether you actively pursue better relationships with donors or your relationships have plateaued, three key pieces that improve conversations with supporters are quality, frequency, and satisfaction. Focus on quality of your communication breathes new life into relationships with long time donors. Checking in frequently encourages a renewed sense of commitment. Keeping donors satisfied by educating them on new programs and upcoming events increases your retention rate. Let’s dive into a few additional ways to make this tips work for your nonprofit!
- Understand the interests of the donor, how they look to plug in past giving, and work these interests into face to face meetings, emails, calls, etc.
- Take initiative to know how the donor is connected to other donors, community organizations, partner businesses, and how those connections led them to involvement with your organization
- Setup automated emails to be sent to donors so they never miss an update from your nonprofit. Automation is powerful!
- Assign a gift officer to donors so that no task to touch base falls through the cracks.
- Use every interaction to satisfy the donors’ desire to not simply do, but act as well. Activate their support!
- By emphasizing focus on quality and frequency, you will have already done your part to satisfy the donor as they seek to be a part of meeting organization goals and realizing the potential of your community impact.
Marianna Woodruff is Director of Brand Awareness at DonorLynk, LLC. DonorLynk aims to provide nonprofits with tailored solutions that work for you, not against you.